Monday 16 January 2012

The optimism of a lazy weekend

January sucks. We all know that. There's such a long wait til payday and it's too dark and cold for anything too meaningful to happen.


So some smart arse created Blue Monday, which we all know is a crock of shit. You would have thought that someone would create a New Order day for the right reasons, and preferably after a national Joy Division holiday.

Without actually realising the 'most depressing day of the year' was upon me I decided to have a lazy weekend. A lazy weekend with several aims in mind; the desire to recharge my batteries, save a bit of cash as I've got a weekend away at the end of January (badly planned for just before payday) and to catch up some college work.

My noble aims were almost thwarted by procrastination and the knowledge that James Bond films turned 50 this year but progress was made. Homework was all but completed and the pub was avoided. Whoever said staying in would save moolah was a fool. Either that or they were blissfully ignorant of Internet shopping and gambling.  I shopped and bought some damn classic movies on DVD and threw some cash at some horses, modestly successfully. All this must have contributed to a strange feeling at the back of my mind.

This strange feeling was difficult to pin down but even more difficult to ignore. 2011 was, on the whole a bit shit but now it occurred to me that this was a new year. Two weeks too late but I'm at the 2012 party now.

Without any knowing justification I look out at the rest of this fledgling year positively. It's not about the Olympics, Lord of the Rings Lego or even The Dark Knight Rises but I have a feeling that something splendidly lovely is going to happen in 2012. It's like a sneeze that's not quite ready. Something is itching to happen.

If only I knew what it was.


The whole weekend and even on 'Blue Monday' all I've been able to hear is this




 



I hope this feeling lasts

No comments:

Post a Comment